Eric Nicholas K's answer to Kathy's Secondary 4 A Maths Singapore question.

done {{ upvoteCount }} Upvotes
clear {{ downvoteCount * -1 }} Downvotes
Eric Nicholas K
Eric Nicholas K's answer
3943 answers (Tutor Details)
The substitution can be used in this case. But if you are confident of factorising the quadratic-like equation without the substitution, you can just factorise the equation straight away.